It will enable you to:
• understand the skills and tools required by a mentor
• understand the legal and ethical requirements of mentoring
• understand the competing demands, pressures and motivations that face an entrepreneur.
• understand the issues surrounding gender and diversity.
The rewards of mentoring
We understand that enterprise mentoring may not be part of your ‘day job’ but we’re sure you recognise how rewarding it is to share your knowledge, skills and experience with others. We also know how important it is for you to be confident in this role. We feel certain that this workbook will help you to become more aware of what it takes to be a brilliant enterprise mentor.
Research proves that businesses that seek support, particularly during start up and their first months of trading, are most likely to survive and succeed. It’s often a lonely place to be and that is where a mentor can help. A true mentoring relationship is a mutually beneficial learning experience in which mentor and mentee can learn from each other.
Developing as a mentor
We hope you treat this programme as a journey of self-discovery where you will be encouraged to:
• understand your role as an enterprise mentor
• reflect on and develop your current skills and knowledge and recognise how they can be used in your enterprise mentoring role
• reflect on issues/motivations facing different groups, and how you might adjust your
approach to meet their needs.
This course is full of information and practical activities for you to use in your role as mentor. It also includes signposts to useful websites and other sources of information and resources, where you can find help for your mentee and ideas and inspiration for yourself.